Upcoming Events

Dec
12
Tue
7:00 pm @ Summit Christian Elementary
@ Summit Christian Elementary
Dec 12 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

April 2017 Meeting Minutes

Lee’s SUMMIT WOODWORKERS GUILD, INC.

APRIL 11, 2017 MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  

General statements made by the President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Yearly dues for the year will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2017and $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up.
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  1. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking at 2017 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.
  2. GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.
  3. FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.
  4. PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so at the next meeting.
  5. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget to think of new places that we can visit that will expand our knowledge of wood working skills.
  6. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  7. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was 72. Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL AND FIXTURES -

Pansy Legall had a SCROLLSAWN JEWELERY BOX, TREE ORNAMENTS and an ANGEL;  Bob Rubin had a SCROLLSAWN ARABIAN WOOD BASKET, a TRIVET, DOCK SIGN; Curt Tyhurst had a GAVEL; Larry McFerrin had a CAMEO LEGS CARVING FIXTURE; Bob Perry had a MAPLE, CHERRY, WALNUT SEGMENTED BOWL; Bill Doyle had SEVERAL SCROLLSAWN TRIVETS; Dale Kunz had an OPEN SEGMENTED BOWL; Don Gates had a GEAR EXERCISING GIZMO and a HUMINGBIRD; Jon Starek had SHELF CLOCKS; Mike Reynolds had a SWEET GUM BOWL; Arlie Reimer had a PIZZA PADDLE; Randy Bray had a SEGMENTED BOWL; Bob Frerking had a JAPENESE LANTERN; John Mais had a CROSS CUT SLED WITH MITER. Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

IMG_5065 

PROGRAM –The program for tonight will be presented by Kelly Parker a onetime Analytical Chemist now a woodworking craftsman. Kelly approaches her talents as a furniture designer and manufacturer with as much care as if she were reviewing the design of an ATOM BOMB. Every finished product is fully supported by several interim prototypes to insure form and fit. Her program was interesting and gave an insight as to the effort required to bring a piece of furniture to its final finish. We look forward to her return in the future and we thank her for sharing her skills. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

HELP: AAW SYMPOSIUM (June 22-25 at Bartle Hall)-see Mike Reynolds and volunteer.

NEXT MEETING –MAY 09, 2017 at 7:00pm

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers  .

March 2017 Meeting Minutes

Lee’s SUMMIT WOODWORKERS GUILD, INC.

MARCH 14, 2017 MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  

General statements made by the President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Yearly dues for the year will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2017and $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up.
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  1. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking at 2017 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.
  2. GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.
  3. FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.
  4. PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so at the next meeting.
  5. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget to think of new places that we can visit that will expand our knowledge of wood working skills.
  6. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  7. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was76. Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL AND FIXTURES -

Pansy Legall had SCROLLSAWN CROSSES, BOOKENDS, ANGELS and JEWELERY BOXES;  Bob Rubin had a SCROLLSAWN BERRY BASKET; DRAGON PUZZLE, R-LETTER , BUTTERFLY and a BOWL FIXTURE;  Gale Markley had a TURNED CHEERY BOWL; Harold Young had an ARRAY OF BOWL MAKING FIXTURES; John Wolf had FIXTURES INCLUDING A CARVING HOLDER, SHARPENING STICK and a VISE; Curt Tyhurst had SEVERAL SAW FIXTURES; Larry McFerrin had SEVERAL TABLE SAW SLEDS (convertibles); Bob Perry had a 3D CUTTING BOARD; Bill Doyle had a GREEN WOOD TURNING; Jim Dunlap had SEVERAL SQUARING JIGS; Michael Straughn had a TURNED VASE; Dave Clark had an INTERESTING BOX and a CURVED WOOD JIG; Sam Parris had a RESAW GUIDE; Dale Kunz had a SEGMENTED VESSEL and a X,Y COMPOUND JIG; Mike Shaw had a JIG FOR CELTIC KNOT PENS; Leonard Shackels had a 3D EASTER EGG; Don Gates had  a SCROLLSAWN BROKEN BOX and a DOG PUZZLE; Mel Bryan had  a DUST COLLECTOR BUCKET and a SQUARING JIG; Kevin Stovall had a CARD SCRAPER HOLDER; Doc Dale had a FOOT FINDER and a DUST COLLECTOR JIG;  . Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

PROGRAM –Tonights program was included in SHOW and TELL as FIXTURES are usually a part of making your presentable item(s). As a combination feature we are able to better understand what it actually takes to put a project together and at times the fixture is what catches the eye of the audience. Again we thank all for stepping forward and passing on their skills and knowledge. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

IN OUR PRAYERS- Greg Hull in the hospital.

NEXT MEETING –APRIL 11, 2017 at 7:00pm

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers  .

 

March Meeting Detour Map

 

Jefferson Street in front of the school is closed do to construction, so follow the map to get to Summit Christian Academy for the March Meeting that will start at 7 PM. Guild Meeting Detour Map

February 14, 2017 Minutes

LEE’S SUMMIT WOODWORKERS GUILD, INC

FEBRUARY 14, 2017

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.

General statements made by the president were:

!. GUILD DUES-Dues will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2017 and remain

  at $25.00  for a member wanting a paper copy (U.S. MAIL). Note:

  John or Carol Freeland will be glads to get you signed up.

2. CHARITABLE PROJECT- Thanks to those that are supporting our charitable project

   “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. Don’t forget to check our raffle items.

3. SHOP TOURS-At present we are looking at late 2017 to get something on the `   calendar. We always learn something at these shops.

4. GUILD LOGO SHIRTS-Order your preference now-check with MEL.

5. FACEBOOK-Availble now-check with GREG.

6. PICTURE ROSTER-Official member pictures are available now-if you have not had    your picture taken please do so at any meeting.

7. MEETING NOTICES-During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.

8. GUEST/VISITORS-Attendance was 71. Welcome and please sign the registry (this

   gets you a copy of the NEWSLETTER for next two months).

SHOW AND TELL-John Wolf-had SEVERAL CARVED CHARACTERS; Lyman Hannah-had

SEVERAL FIGET SPINNERS; Bill Doyle-had a BIRD IN A  CAGE, a CROSS and SEVERAL

SCROLLSAWN TRUCK PUZZLES; Harold Young-had SEVERAL FIXTURES and a

SEGMENTED BOWL; Greg Davis-had a ROPE MAKING MACHINE; Larry McFerrin-had a

JEFFERSON WRITING DESK; Bob Frerking-had an OPEN and a CLOSED SEGMENTED BOWL;Gale Markley-had SEVERAL INSIDE/OUT CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS; Jerry Webb-

had a HOMEMADE VIOLIN; Dale Garrison-had a WOOD CARVING;Michael Straughn-had a JEWELRY BOX; Kevin Stovall-had a MISSION STYLE CABINET (quarter sawn); Bob Ladue-

had SAMPLES OF BAR STOOLS FOR VETERANS; Pansy Legall-had SCROLLSAWN

CROSSES, ROOSTERS and WOVEN BASKETS; Jay Helland- had a THREE LEGGED STOOL. Thanks to those that participated and hope we did not overlook a members” project.

Please fill out a SHOW & TELL ITEM sheet.

PROGRAM-President Roy presented our speakers for tonight who were non other than the DUO of Larry McFerrin and John Freehand. Tonight they will talk and demo the subject of

VENEER APPLICATION TECHNIQUES. There are many methods for veneering as there are

wood types and glues to be used. Also the methods to be employed could be brought to to question by the experts. But our DUO have picked vacuum as the specialty for tonight. Lots of interest in the application and in the vacuum machine put together by Larry. Also the clock that

John used for his veneer project presented some challenges due to its curved feature. This

prompted several questions pertaining to the fixtures required to perform the veneering process.

Thanks to both for sharing their time and talents. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

NEXT MEETING-MARCH 14, 2017

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted-

Bill Akers

 

Tools For Teens Policy

Lee’s Summit Woodworkers Guild -TFT

Formal Policy for the Tools for Teens (TFT) Program March 3, 2016     The Tools for Teens (TFT) program is established by the Lee’s Summit Woodworkers Guild to promote woodworking among teen age students in the Lee’s Summit R7 high schools by providing funds to purchase needed tools and to repair or replace existing woodworking tools in their school.  

The funds available are via the membership of the LSWG, and can vary from year to year.  Generally, a base amount is created by membership dues but can increase through other voluntary member donations or funding drives.  The funding is totally voluntary and may fluctuate yearly, with no guarantees of any funding from year to year.

Requests for assistance by the woodworking teachers of these LS R7 schools are to be in the form of a letter sent to the current Guild President, and it should outline the need, the proposed solution and approximate cost.  All requests will be considered by the LS Woodworking Guild Board in relation to the funds available.  

However, priority will be given to requests based upon:

  1. Teachers and/or students who have made a presentation, conducted a seminar, or a workshop for Guild members.
  2. Industrial Technology & Engineering Programs that has matching funds available from the school district or other sources.

Requesting letter should be received by the LSWG no later than April 1 of the current calendar year.  Monetary awards will be issued to each school later in May so that purchases can be made for the next school year.

January 2017 Meeting Minutes

JANUARY 10, 2017 

Vice President Greg Hull called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  

General statements made by the Vice President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Yearly dues for the year will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2017 and $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up.
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  3. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking at 2017 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.

           4.   GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.

5.   FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.

     6.   PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so

           at the next meeting.

  1. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget to think of new places that we can visit that will expand our knowledge of woodworking skills.
  2. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  3. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was 72 . Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL-

Pansy Legall had CHIEFS SCROLLSAWN ITEMS; Ben Simmons had HOMEMADE CANOE PADDLES; Gale Markley had a WALL CLOCK; Harold Young had a TURNED SEGMENTED BOWL and an URN; John Wolf had SEVERAL CARVED FIGURES; Jerry Webb had a VIOLIN; Doc Dale had a CANARY WOOD TURNED BOWL; Michael Straughn had a TURNED VASE; Dale Kunz had a TURNED SEGMENTED BOWL; Mike Reynolds had an ORNAMENT and a MESQUITE BOWL; Don Gates had a TURNED BOWL and a SCROLLSAWN DEER; Bob Frerking had OPEN SEGMENTED BOWLS; Bryan Appleton DEMONSTRATED SHARPENING A CHISEL; Ken Frerking had a TURNED SEGMENTED BOWL; Bob LaDue DONATED RAILROAD CAR PLANS. Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

 

PROGRAM –Vice President Greg stated that the program for tonight would be a video of the BILTMORE HOUSE, Ashville, NC. This structure was built by George Vanderbilt in the late 1800s and our intent tonight is to place emphasis on the great woodworking consisting of the furniture, millwork and general architecture of the home. Hope everyone enjoyed this slight, but interesting, departure from our normal sawdust presentations. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

ANNUAL WOODSHOW: Check out the signup sheet and spend a few hours at the show- AMERICAN ROYAL- January 20-22.

NEXT MEETING –February 14, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.

 

Vice President Greg closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers  .

November 2016 Meeting Minutes

NOVEMBER 08, 2016

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  

General statements made by the President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Yearly dues for the year will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2017 and $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up.
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  1. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking at 2017 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.
  2. GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.
  3. FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.
  4. PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so at the next meeting.
  5. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget to think of new places that we can visit that will expand our knowledge of woodworking skills.
  6. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  7. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was 76. Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL-

Ted Legall had a MAGNETIC TRAVELING CHESS BOARD and a STANDARD CHESS BOARD; Bob Rubin had SEVERAL SCROLLSAWN TRIVETS; Gale Markley had FOUR TURNED BOXES; Harold Young had TWO GREEN ELM TURNED BOWLS and a LATHE JIG; Dave Burton had a CHERRY BOWL with a RIM; John Wolf had a CARVED MAN (SVEN); David Rink had a SPIRAL URN; Jerry Webb had a VIOLIN; Preston Goodwin had a GARDEN POTTING BENCH; Roy Wall had a PRAYER REQUEST BOX; Doc Dale had a VASE and his POT OF CHANGE. Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

PROGRAM –President Roy took the floor tonight for this evening program and introduced us to the many ways “TO FLATTEN AND STRAIGHTEN A BOARD” (warning-if you go too far you end up with veneer or toothpicks). It is interesting how far one will go to salvage that last piece of lumber that just fits your project. But we all know if you can salvage a motor with a few bearings there must be a way to straighten a board. Once again Roy proved his point that the plane is mans best friend. Once again we thank Roy for stepping forward and passing on his skills and knowledge. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

CHRISTMAS GATHERING-Remember to bring your food or dessert items-Bob Pressly will be doing his PULLED PORK. Don’t forget to help with the kitchen shores.

WOODWORKING SHOW- sign up sheet available – American Royal – January 20-22.

 

NEXT MEETING –DECEMBER 13, 2016 at 6:30 p.m.

 

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers  .

October 2016 Meeting Minutes

October 12, 2015 MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.                                                          General statements made by the Vice President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Half year dues will be $10.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2015 and remain at $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up. Dues are being collected for 2015.
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  3. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking toward 2016 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.
  4.  GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.
  5. FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.
  6. PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so at the next meeting.
  7. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget our big trip and meeting to the “DR. DALE CHAPMAN BARBEQUE and SHOP TOUR” for our NOVEMBER meeting.
  8. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  9. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was 52. Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL: Leonard Shackles had a CARVED SANTA; Bob Rubin  had a SCROLLSAWN TROUT PUZZLE, FISH OUT OF WATER, VASE & FLOWERS; Bill Wilkerson had SCROLLSAWN CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS; Bud Collins had CRAFTED SLEDS; Bryan Appleton had HAND SAWS, SAW VISE & FILES; Ron Neidinger had a VASE; Carol Freeland had a CNC SIGN(her first); Gale Markley had a TURNED LIGHTHOUSE; John Wolf had a CARVED SKULL & a SANTA; Logan Steele had TWO SEGMENTED BOWLS; Harold Young had a SEGMENTED BOWL & a CUTTING BOARD; Lyman Hannah had a DOUBLE ARM SLED & PICTURES OF ADVENT CANDLE STAND; Jim McCord had a COLLECTORS CASE; Mike McReynolds had a SEGMENTED IRONMAN BOWL; Pansy Legall had a WALNUT BOWL & a CHERRY BASKET; Mikeal Jones had an END TABLE. Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

PROGRAM –President Roy and others had the floor this month as the featured speakers as they reviewed the sessions they attended at the WOODWORKERS OF AMERICA SHOW. Each presentation was abbreviated to allow time for each member to give the highlights of what was presented at their particular session. As time goes on we will probable be entertained with several detailed programs. We thank all our members for sharing their information gathered and look forward to using some of the ideas put forward. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

NEXT MEETING –NOVEMBER 10, 2015 at 5:30p.m. NOTE: THIS IS THE BIG ONE AT DR. DALE CHAPMAN’s SHOP.

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers

August 2016 Guild Presentation

The August 2016 LS Woodworkers Guild Presentation featured Bob Frerking’s techniques used to create a segmented vessel.  The guild membership appreciates Bob for taking the time to share his knowledge and skill.  Click on the photo below to start the video.

May 2016 Monthly Meeting Minutes

 

LEE’S SUMMIT WOODWORKERS GUILD, INC.

MAY 10, 2016 MONTHLY MEETING MINUTES

President Roy Wall called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.                                                          General statements made by the Vice President were:

  1. GUILD DUES–Yearly dues will be $20.00 (member receiving e-mail) for 2016 and remain at $25.00 for member wanting a paper copy (US MAIL). Note: John or Carol Freeland will be glad to get you signed up. collected for
  2. CHARITABLE PROJECT – Thanks to those that have supported our charitable project “TOOLS FOR TEENS”. We will continue to support this project and provide tools that will have an impact on many lives.
  3. SHOP TOURS – At present we are looking at 2016 to get something on the calendar-get your name on the SHOP TOUR list. We always learn something at these shops.
  4.  GUILD LOGO SHIRTS- HATS- Order your preferences now– check with Mel.
  5. FACEBOOK– Available now – check with Greg.
  6. PICTURE ROSTER- Official pictures are now available-if you have not had your picture taken please do so at the next meeting.
  7. FIELD TRIP – Don’t forget to think of new places that we can visit that will expand our knowledge of wood working skills.
  8. MEETING NOTICES – During bad weather tune to CHANNEL 41 for any cancellation.
  9. GUEST/VISITORS – Attendance was73. Welcome and please sign the registry (this gets you a copy of the Newsletter for the next two months).

SHOW AND TELL: Pansy Legal had TWO CHESS SETS; BOWLS and PRAYING HANDS; Bob Rubin had a FRAMED PICTURE and an INTARSIA LOVE; Dale Kunz had a CUTTING BOARD; Gale Markley had a BOWL; Michael Straughn had an ASORTMENT OF TOOLS and a VASE; Randy Bray had a CANE and a BOWL; David Clark had a MARKETRY PANEL. Hope we did not miss anyone’s project and remember you are entered in a raffle when you participate in SHOW & TELL.

PROGRAM –President Roy introduced the presenters for tonight who are none other than our LEES SUMMIT NORTH students and their teachers. This is the school who is the primary recipient of our TOOLS FOR TEENS project. It was evident by the many wood working projects that were presented that the LSWG can be proud that we support such a talented group of students. Wood working projects are an opportunity for one to not only get familiar with the machines and tools in their shop but to also expand on the other subjects taught that may help you figure out that difficult angle cut. Once again we thank the teachers for passing on their skills and knowledge so we can be the ones to enjoy the fruits. Don’t forget to help Vice President Greg Hull by keeping a lookout for anything that would be of interest to our members and thank him for his efforts to bring us a program each month.

JUNE PICNIC; Be there by 6 pm so we can start about 6:30 pm. Also don’t forget to bring your DESERT or FOOD ITEM.

NEXT MEETING –JUNE 14, 2016 at 7:00p.m.

President Roy closed the meeting at 9:00 p.m..

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Akers  .

 

 

IMG_3371[1] IMG_3369[1] IMG_3370[1]

IMG_3359[1] IMG_3337[1] IMG_3362[1] IMG_3368[1] IMG_3364[1] IMG_3339[1]